The real estate landscape is witnessing a significant shift, driven by the preferences of Gen Z, those born in 1997 or later. While some believe homeownership is trending downward for younger generations, Elton Ash, the regional executive vice-president for RE/MAX Western Canada, states, “Gen Z is entering the real estate market as the most substantial demographic cohort we’ve ever witnessed.”
Although the immediate effects of Generation Z’s presence may not be apparent, it’s only a matter of time. Gen Z members are more inclined toward homeownership than millennials, however, the immediate challenge lies in affordability, notably impacting Calgary’s skyline.
The Move to Suburban Living for Gen Z
Unlike previous generations, Gen Z is showing a remarkable inclination to purchase homes outside of urban centres like downtown Calgary, with suburban areas such as Airdrie gaining increased attention. This change in housing preferences can be attributed to several key factors, notably the rise of hybrid work arrangements that no longer tether them to city living.
With the evolving work landscape, Gen Z individuals have embraced the flexibility of remote and hybrid work models. This newfound freedom allows them to consider housing options beyond the city limits.
Moreover, the affordability factor cannot be understated. City living often comes with a hefty price tag for housing, making it less accessible to many young buyers. Suburban properties, on the other hand, offer a range of housing options that align with Gen Z’s financial considerations, allowing them to invest in their future without compromising their financial stability.
Why New Homes in Airdrie Are Attracting Younger Generations
The shift towards suburban living among Gen Z represents a significant transformation in the real estate market. Airdrie and similar suburban areas are witnessing increased demand for housing as young professionals and families opt for spacious homes and a quieter environment while maintaining the convenience of commuting to the city when necessary.
The appeal of Airdrie living lies in a number of factors:
- Spacious Homes – Suburban areas typically offer larger new homes with more square footage than what you’d find in urban settings. This extra space is especially appealing to young families as it provides room to grow, accommodate children, and create dedicated spaces for various activities.
- Family-Friendly Neighbourhoods – Suburbs are often designed with families in mind, featuring neighbourhoods with ample green spaces, parks, playgrounds, and recreational facilities. These amenities create a safe and conducive environment for children to play and grow.
- Safety and Security – Suburban neighbourhoods tend to have lower crime rates compared to urban areas, contributing to a sense of safety and security. Parents appreciate the peace of mind that comes with knowing their children are growing up in a secure environment.
- Community and Social Connections – Airdrie living fosters a strong sense of belonging. Families have opportunities to connect with neighbours through local events, schools, and community organizations. This sense of community can be particularly beneficial for both parents and children.
- Lower Cost of Living – In many cases, suburban living offers a more affordable cost of living compared to urban centers. Housing prices, property taxes, and everyday expenses like groceries and utilities may be more manageable, allowing young families to allocate their resources more efficiently.
- Reduced Noise and Pollution – Suburban areas typically have less noise pollution and air pollution compared to urban centres. This cleaner and quieter environment can be beneficial for children’s health and overall well-being.
- Commuter-Friendly – While Airdrie living offers a quieter lifestyle, it’s not too far from Calgary, making it feasible for parents to commute to work in the city while enjoying suburban living.
Douglas Homes: New Homes That Evolving With Each Generation
In the world home of modern home construction, Douglas Homes stands as a testament to a forward-thinking approach and an unwavering commitment to quality, innovation, and timeless design.
At Douglas Homes, we design new homes that seamlessly adapt to the changing needs and preferences of each generation. Through meticulous attention to detail and a keen understanding of evolving lifestyles, we continue to lead the way in the ever-evolving landscape of modern homebuilding.
To discover new homes in Airdrie, contact us today and let’s get you closer to moving into the home of your dreams!