Thinking of buying a home in Cochrane? Maybe it’s the allure of the mountains, the quaint and cozy vibe of the town, the peace and quiet away from the bustling city, or all of the above – it’s no wonder you and your family are drawn to this beautiful town. Cochrane is one of the most sought-after communities in Calgary’s surrounding areas!
Here’s what you need to know about life in Cochrane, including the commute, quick possession homes, things to do around town, and more.
1. Cochrane is an outdoor enthusiast’s dream
As you drive into Cochrane from Calgary, one of the first things you’ll notice is the breathtaking backdrop of the Rocky Mountains. The town is situated at the base of Big Hill in the Bow River Valley close to Ghost Lake Reservoir and less than an hour’s drive from the mountain town of Canmore. Cochrane is also home to 11 ball diamonds, 9 fields, 24 parks, and over 30km of pathways.
With so many outdoor activities available, such as fishing, camping, sailing, golfing, hiking, windsports, powerboating, and ice skating, Cochrane is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts. The town is perfect for active families that love weekend trips to the mountains and enjoy the great outdoors.
2. Young families and seniors make up most of the population
Growing families and seniors who want to downsize prefer Cochrane to Calgary because of the peace and quiet, safety, and sense of community within the neighbourhoods. Cochrane has 9 public and separate schools within the town boundaries. The community of Greystone appeals to seniors by creating gathering places to establish roots and foster friendships.
The town hosts many annual events to bring the community together, including the Chamber of Commerce Trade Fair, Canada Day Community Celebration, Labour Day Rodeo and Parade, Terry Fox Fun, the Christmas Lightup Event, and more.
3. There are beautiful homes available in new communities
Cochrane has rapidly grown in popularity over the years as the ideal place to move. For this reason, builders like Douglas Homes have built new homes, custom homes, and quick possession homes in Cochrane’s new communities to keep up with the demand.
Douglas Homes is an award-winning builder known for some of the most beautiful modern homes in Cochrane’s communities, including:
- Greystone – Located in downtown Cochrane with access to convenient businesses, close proximity to Spray Lake Family Sports Centre, and connection to the Bow River. Duplexes and single-family rear detached homes by Douglas Homes appeal to families of all sizes and ages.
- Precedence – One of Cochrane’s newest communities in the established area of Riversong. You can find townhomes and single-family homes by Douglas Homes lining the neighbourhood with plenty of parks and pathways for residents to enjoy.
- Sunset Ridge – Perched in the foothills above downtown Cochrane, Sunset Ridge has one of the most scenic views in the town. Only minutes away from downtown Cochrane and a short distance to Calgary with easy access to Highway 22. Here, you’ll find quick possession homes by Douglas Homes, including duplex, single-family, and front drive single-family builds.
4. A commuter town with excellent transport connections
With such close proximity to Calgary, Cochrane residents get the best of both worlds. Many commute to work easily and come home to the peaceful town after a busy day in the city. Cochrane is intersected by Highway 1A and Highway 22, two main arterial roads that make for a simple drive into Calgary’s city centre and main amenities.
5. A unique blend of historical buildings and modern amenities
Cochrane was established in 1881 and became a village in 1903 before officially being incorporated as a town in 1971. As an old, historic town that became one of the fastest-growing communities in Calgary’s surrounding areas, Cochrane became a unique blend of historical buildings and modern amenities.
For example, the Rockyview Hotel downtown is over 100 years old and only minutes away are modern big-box amenities, retail stores, and restaurants like Wal-Mart, No Frills, Sport Check, Original Joe’s, and the Canadian Brewhouse, to name a few. Of course, we can’t forget what Cochrane is world famous for – MacKay’s Ice Cream Shop! The homegrown ice cream store brings in lines of residents and tourists alike all year round.
Cochrane has something for everyone – but most importantly, it’s a great place to call home and raise families for generations to come.